Friday, April 15, 2011

A Hairy Subject

Let's take a moment and talk about hair..... postpartum hair that is. Most moms are familiar with the postpartum shedding that occurs about 3-6 months after their baby is born. After retaining most of your hair during pregnancy, the body needs to correct itself by shedding a whole lot of it all at once. Suddenly it's falling out in clumps, clogging your drains, vacuums, and forming a loose knit rug on your bathroom floor. Every ones experience varies, and some will not even notice a big difference, or won't experience it at all. I've heard that women with thicker hair actually enjoy it.


Unfortunately this phenomena hits the ladies in my family pretty hard. My sisters and I all share the common gene of fine, thinner hair already, so it can be kind of scary to see so much of it falling out. Even so, we continue on with life, and look forward to having more babies. We understand that it's just part of the mothering process and will eventually get better. My intention in sharing this is not to scare any moms, or moms-to-be, because really it's such a short part of life, and babies are well worth it.


Well, after talking to my sister Aimee on the phone about our recent hair loss (Dallin and her Jackson are 9 days apart) and jokes about going bald, she told me about a new hair "accessory" she had been using. Since my birthday was just around the corner she sent me one, and I got it a few weeks ago.


I give you... the hair piece!

Can I tell you how fun it is to have this much hair?

When I put it on the first time I felt like Rapunzel. My hair doesn't do well when it grows past my shoulders, so it's fun to see what I look like with really long hair. It's been fun trying out different hair do's with my new thick locks, and I've gotta say that Kevin instantly became a fan of "the piece". I don't plan to wear it every day, but it's nice to have an added option especially on bad hair days! I let the girls try it on, and they love it. Very princess-esque. When they saw it hanging up in the bathroom the other day, they kept asking me why I cut my hair off:)
So if anyone asks, I've just been taking my vitamins and brushing my hair 100 x's every night:)

There's nothing else to it.

9 comments:

Jen said...

Love it :)

***LIZ*** said...

Looks great! I love the pigtails. Where did you get it?

Missy said...

Liz-my sister got them from Avon:)

jack+alli said...

that's awesome! i wouldn't guess that's not your hair. i love that last picture- sorry i don't know if it's brooke or brenna, but it's hilarious!

Adria said...

that is so funny!! nothing like a good clip on to make you feel better:)

Robyn and Anthony said...

I love the pics of the girls with the hair! Hahaha! And yes we woman go through a lot for our babies- but it is worth it :)

Eaton Family said...

She did a great job matching the color to your hair from so far away! I like it though looks good!!

Nicole said...

my hair is not even that thin and I've been wearing hair pieces for years, just on special occasions to give that extra little uhmph! btw, it looks good on you, and I love that girls think it's like "Tangled" hair! haha so cute!

Emmy said...

Never would have known it was a piece- it looks great! My husband always asks how I am not bald since I lose so much hair