Monday, April 6, 2009

The Answer

Thank you all for your guesses, and now for the answer.

It cost me $1.15 to make one quart of jam.
Now that's the largest sized mason jar that holds 32 oz. of jam, just so there is no confusion.

A few of you were pretty close, but at $1.24 a quart Liz is the winner!
You can expect your pint of jam shortly:)

Here is how the cost worked out:


As I mentioned in the previous post, I purchased 6lbs. of strawberries @ .50 lb= $3.00. Now realize that strawberries at Walmart usually go for $3.00 a pound which would hike that price up pretty quick.




The sugar was purchased from American Discount Foods for approximately .30 lb. I used 24 cups of sugar which is 12 lbs. 12 lbs @.30 lb. = $3.60. Once again, the cost of sugar at the regular store is going to be more than that.



The pectin we used came from all the way in Kentucky. It was purchased at a country pantry store and shipped to us by my sister. If you go to a regular store and buy a small box of pectin it will cost you between $2-$3 to make one batch of jam. The pectin we used for our 3 (doubled) batches cost me $2.00.

If you add that all up you get $8.60 which divided by 7 and 1/2 quarts = $1.15 a quart (32oz.)

Finding your materials for jam at discount really pays off, so I would highly recommend shopping around for good deals. Happy Jam making and make sure to use the recipe on your pectin (instead of mine) as they will vary depending on the type you are using!

Thanks for playing:)

3 comments:

***LIZ*** said...

WOOOO-HOOO!!! Today is my lucky day!! Thanks for hostessing such a fun giveaway!

Amy said...

Rats...I'm sorry I didn't post a comment to get it on the jam contest!

Let me know if/when you find more sweet deals on fruit like that and I'll come and "jam" with you...if you want. :)

Shellee said...

I wanna know, where did you get the pectin from... was it a website that I can order from. It's so expensive that I have avoided jamming!
We go through so much jam in this hosue that it would totally be worth the effort to make it.
Hayden has to have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich everyday.

When are you going to drop the girls off so you can go the mutual without stressing?