Sunday, March 1, 2009

A Progress Report

Lately I've been trying to be more content with life, realizing that things will never be "perfect" and that I should find happiness in progress.

So last week to I tried to find some progress in life and here is my report.
(warning:I 've been using the word alas a lot, not because I know what it means per say, but because I think it makes me sound smart and scholarly like. Thank you for understanding.)

Would you believe that at this very moment (which was several hours ago, mind you) there is not a single item of dirty clothing in my house? Ok, I can't speak for that lone sock , but you know what I mean. It's shocking. I somehow managed to get all the laundry through the washer and dryer and into their designated drawers....well most of it. Just one more heap of clean clothes to put away. You know the one that nests patiently in your bedroom for at least a few days, until you slowly pick at it hoping it will eventually be depleted? Can I promise those same clothes won't be sitting there tomorrow? No, (because tomorrow is today and they are still there) but alas there is progress.



Brenna continues to inflict me with "Code Brown Trouts" on a weekly basis. I figure my fishing skills are now as keen as any professional sportsman. The last time they were in the bathtub, the girls were both playing as usual; Brooke standing by the faucet proudly filling her cup, Brenna in her usual squat. Suddenly Brenna looked up at me with those sweet, baby blue eyes and said "Poo." This was the first time she had ever attempted to alert me of the situation, as it was happening. I still went fishing that day, but alas there is progress.

I've been thinking a lot about Emergency Preparedness/Food Storage lately and trying to get my act together. After a few trips to the cannery we've got some beans, sugar, wheat, oats, and dry milk. Probably enough to get through a week or so on a diet rich with bean pie and milk. We went to an Emergency Preparedness Fair on Saturday and got a lot of great information. At the grocery store we picked up a few cases of water, just as a start. It isn't much, but alas there is progress.


The girls are at that fun age where they are learning and understanding more and more words. As their vocabulary expands so does my expectations, and this doesn't always work out. So when I say "Don't pick your nose," I naturally expect them to understand. Well, at least they know what their nose is, and that it is only appropriate to pick your nose while driving in a car, and alas there is progress.



I wish my bedroom looked like this. All comfy and cozy like a luxurious hotel room, a place to relax and unwind. So after much thought I did some dusting, took out some decorative pillows, yanked off a picture and added some new inexpensive decor. I decided to make the bed every day, while Toby decided to ruin it every day with his stinky fluff ball self. It's no king suite, but it's becoming more inviting, and alas there is progress.


One of my goals for 2009 was to become a healthier more active person. I had the eating-healthy-food thing down pretty much, but was lacking in the moving-around-physically area. I was so excited to get a gym membership for my birthday because working out is easy peasy, right? A week at the gym and one personal training session later and it hurts when I sneeze. I'm no where near Kelly Ripa but alas there is progress.


Kevin has just completed a month at Godaddy.com. He made it through training and into the "deer in the headlights stage," which consisted of placing most of his customers on hold while scrambling to find a solution to their problem. Sales were low, accents thick and customers impatient, which only added to his stress. He is now answering phones and providing technical support to customers on his own, and is doing much better in sales. He doesn't know everything yet, but alas there is progress, and that makes me happy:)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

love the post! alas is fun to say! it looks exciting with an added exclamation point! alas!
i know the laundry pile you speak of. i think i wait for the hubby to put it away...fat chance!
your poo story made me laugh out loud!
congrats on you food storage progress...wanna do mine?
and lucky you, a personal trainer would be awesome to have! wanna share the secrets you learned?
last, but not least i just have to say atleast kevin isn't the one with the thick accent! i'd hang up and call back later in hopes of getting someone i could understand. are they rules against doing that? that actually might provide an entertaining day answering the phone with a different accent everytime.
wow! sorry about the novel! thanks for the inspiring post...i gotta get movin!

Ham N Cheese said...

My daughter was so impressed by your blog. Her exact words "Two girls and a piece of pie, how could that be? She is lucky!"

Natalie said...

So Cute I love that post. I think alas just explains everything! The picking the noes one with both of your girls and with both fingers so great.

Annie said...

AKKK the P word! No no progress but Perfection! Progress is a great word and OMWord your bedroom looks fabulous! Mine has never looked like that, it looks so chic and cozy.
I think in the end we all suffer from our own perfectionism sneaking in and either taking over or paralyzing us. I am in the latter...but there is progress :)

Beka said...

Oh my gosh, that pic of your girls picking their noses is hilarious, and from seeing that pic of your hubby, i think they look exactly like him!

choice_spirit said...

Progress... alas... it is slow in coming.

Spencer and Amy said...

HEY! I saw your comment on my cousins blog and I was like..hey, that's Melissa! How does she know my cousin! Thanks about the cupcake, it took forever! Your little girls are so cute by the way! I was thinking it was so cool that you had twins!

Holly Janeen said...

you are hilariously darling.

*sigh*

i have so much to do today and i havent even gotten halfway through my to do list... but alas, there is progress.

Shirley said...

I love this post! It is true...everything is really a work in progress. I mean, really, what would we do if we did something once and never had to do it again?!! that would be just too weird! Love you!

Eaton Family said...

Melissa you are so funny! I love reading your blog you always make me laugh! My favorites have to be the picking the nose picture an the bath tub. I guess I am so lucky that Tatum has never gone poo yet in the tub and hopfully she wont! Your such a great mom!

Photography By Jo said...

I think I need to remind myself of my progress too. It's so hard to stay on top of things!

Nicole said...

first congrats on ur many great works in progress! Ur doing so good! ok next, if I ever.... EVER had all the laundry done I think lightening would strick me five times.... needless to say I don't see that happening in the near future. Also that pic of the girls with not one one finger in their nose but BOTH gilrs with BOTH fingers is classic... I think u should def. frame that one :) And congrats to Kevin for one month down and cheers to many more to come :) and last I too need to get my butt in gear and hit the gym more often, you'd think since I work at one I'd be working out all the time... nope, quite the opposite!