Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Potty Learning

067
A few weeks ago Dallin decided that he wanted to use the potty. It was very random, and unexpected, but I was happy to oblige. He had seen the girls and I use the bathroom enough to do it all himself, with a little help from the bathroom stool. Dallin handed me his pants and diaper, said "bye bye" to me, and shut the door, with me on the outside. Apparently privacy is very important to my little guy. After a minute or so he called me in, and showed me the "fruits of his labor." I was so excited, I jumped up and down and started praising him. He hated it! He kept saying "NO!" "NO!" My bubbly nature was a little too much for him to handle, so I toned it down after that:) 

Well one successful potty trip, led to another, and another. We still had him in full time diapers, but I would go to change him and they would be bone dry. He seems to have very good bladder control. I went to Target to get some groceries, and decided to take a leap of faith and buy some underwear for him. Magically the car and train character underwear were on clearance. Coincidence? I think not.

So about 2 weeks ago he started wearing big boy underwear, and I'm happy to report that he has pretty much potty trained himself. He has had 3 accidents in that time, but has done an awesome job of remembering to use the potty. After 10 days of waking up to dry diapers, we slept him in underwear, and he did great!

092

I've heard that boys tend to potty learn later then girls, and since the twins did at 2 years-28 months, I figured some time around 3 might be good. I did not at all expect him to be using the toilet full time at 27 months. It's definitely a blessing, as we are about to add a new baby to the family, and only having one in diapers would be nice. I've also heard that toddlers can easily regress when a new baby comes into the picture, so I will not be shocked if that happens. I'm going to try my best to continue encouraging him and make potty time exciting, and hopefully he'll continue. Either way, I am so proud of Dallin and his go to attitude. He is a very determined, results-driven little 2 year old, and sometimes it's easy to look at the negative sides of that. I'm glad that he took that talent into learning how to use the potty, because he rocked it!

5 comments:

Alison said...

Yay Dallin! That is pretty much how it happened with Skyler, it is so fun when it goes that way!

Gretchen Willmore said...

Wow girl, you are living right! haha that is so awesome. Potty training can be the pits with boys so that is so great that Dallin got it so fast. What a smart boy!

Lani said...

Go Dallin!

Jenny said...

Yeah! When they're ready, they're ready. How awesome is that?! And, FYI, just in case you forgot...you are beautiful! I've been out of it for a long time, so I just skimmed through your blog again, a little refresher :) and you are just so beuatiful...you radiate love and happiness and I'm so excited to hear how your delivery goes for baby girl. So glad I've "met" you:)

~ Jenny

Beka said...

thats amazing- i'm super JEALOUS!! I have another friend whos boy pretty much potty trained himself at 2 too!! Whats up with my boys?:)