A friend of mine, who is also a great photographer, asked me in early September if she could use my kids as models for a Halloween photo-shoot ad. I was all about getting some great photos for free, and so I agreed! Who could say no to such a great offer?! I'm not that much of a planner when it comes to Halloween, but this year I knew I wanted Dallin to be Nacho Libre. His curly hair, white pop belly, and intense nature just screamed Nacho, and I knew I wanted to make his costume. Realizing that his outfit would have to be done within a week, and way before Halloween, had me in high gear and Dallin and I were out at Goodwill scavenging for anything Nacho-like for his costume. I found a red tablecloth, some turquoise colored (stretchy) pants, and some white leather boots that were marked in 100% espanol. Need I say more?
I got to work sewing a cape using the tablecloth, and bought some of that fancy gold colored fringe from SAS to decorate the back. I'm not very skilled with the sewing machine, but after some YouTube videos I finally learned where the tension was, and what it did, so that was helpful...Did I mention I'm not very skilled with the sewing machine?
I hand stitched two square pieces of the tablecloth onto the blue leggings, and took a red fabric marker to the white boots.
Lastly, I searched high and low for some red bloomers from the girls old toddler clothes, but couldn't find any! It was the one thing I just couldn't find no matter where I looked! In a moment of sheer desperation, I remembered that I had some red underwear in my gym clothes drawer, the same underwear that Kevin tried to put on me when my body was trying to push Dallin out of my hoo-haw and we were trying to get me out of the door of our house, if you can remember that far back. Anyways, that's besides the point. The point is that they were solid red, and PERFECT for my little nacho after taking them in on the sewing machine. I was quite pleased that I managed to whip this outfit together in a matter of days. It was definitely homemade looking, but I loved how it turned out!
Brooke as Rapunzel

Halloween night we went trick or treating in our neighborhood, and the kids had so much fun. Some older people weren't quite sure who Dallin was, and called him He-Man or Super Man, so while we were walking the streets I pulled up the opening song to Nacho Libre on my phone and played it out loud. "I am, I am, a true religious man!" It probably just confused these people even more, but it was fun:)
and Brenna as Belle
They looked great in their costumes and the photo shoot gave us some awesome pictures:)
I was so glad we did it!
Girl's being girls, they changed their mind several times leading up to Halloween, and ended up being a few different things for each holiday party we went to. Brenna went from a princess, to a mushroom (below), to Merida. Brooke was also a princess, and then a gymnastics girl twice. Dallin was Nacho every time, and he didn't complain a bit.

Halloween night we went trick or treating in our neighborhood, and the kids had so much fun. Some older people weren't quite sure who Dallin was, and called him He-Man or Super Man, so while we were walking the streets I pulled up the opening song to Nacho Libre on my phone and played it out loud. "I am, I am, a true religious man!" It probably just confused these people even more, but it was fun:)




No comments:
Post a Comment