The pressure
came like high tidal waves overtaking my body, and having me race to top in an
attempt to catch my breath. I had practiced hypnobabies for weeks just like
with Dallin's birth, but I couldn't seem to use the techniques because they
were so strong and close together. I was thinking “How in the world am I going
to get through hours of these contractions?” What had I gotten myself into? Kevin was
kneeling in front of me outside of the birth pool, and I looked up at him and
said "this is REALLY REALLY hard, but I can do it." Although I was
telling him, I was really trying to
convince myself. I needed some reassurance that I could handle these crazy
contractions, and I had begun praying in my mind at the peak of each one.
“Please help me,” “Please help me,” I pleaded silently to my Heavenly Father. Just like with Dallin's birth, there came a
moment when my heart really reached out to all the pro-epidural moms, and I
once again understood why they didn't want to feel what I was feeling. I
renewed my respect for them and their choices, and once again wondered if I was
crazy for choosing to feel this.
It was likely in those short moments of doubt that I was in transition, and
it came and went just like that. The following contraction came with an added
urge to push. Kim noticed, and asked if I thought my water had broken. I said
no. She then called Anne Marie who was 15 minutes away at the time. She told
Kim that the student midwife would be there soon as she lived closer to us. It
was 11:22pm. The next contraction had amazing pressure traveling down my body,
and suddenly I felt an "open" sensation. It was as if Josie's body
had quickly dropped down onto my cervix causing it to dilate to a 10 all at
once. "Something just opened!" I said out loud, wondering what the
heck had just happened. I reached my hand down, and my fingers met a silky smooth
water balloon like surface. I knew immediately it was the amniotic sac, and started
tugging my swim shorts off frantically. Kim and Kevin helped me, and then she sent Kevin to go open
the front door for when the midwives arrived. After he opened the door, he went to go get one of the pots of boiling water from the stove so he could put it in the half empty birth pool. Reality still had not hit him that this was it. He came back into the room, and Kim said "Come here and catch your baby!" Then he dumped the water he had into the pool, ran back to the stove to turn it off, and came back into the room.
She had felt the bulging bag
herself with Josie’s head behind it, and asked him feel. Kevin was a little
confused as he felt something soft and really squishy when he was expecting a
firm head. “What is that coming out?” he
asked aloud, which immediately set off an alarm in my mind. The fear of a cord or foot, or something that
isn’t suppose to be there washed over me and I immediately asked Kim if the baby
was OK. She replied that everything was fine. On the very next contraction I
felt the burning “ring of fire,” and Josie’s head emerged without any effort on
my part. I was just there for the ride as my body was taken over by powerful
surges that were bringing my baby to me. I was in such shock, going from “I
don’t think I’m in labor yet,” to “my baby's head just came out.” I guess part of me figured that my body would continue to do the
work and so I waited, until Kim reminded me that I needed to push and get
Josie’s shoulders out. Everything felt so tight, and the thought of pushing was
a little intimidating. Kevin was up by my face at this point, and cheered me on
telling me to give a good push. I braced myself and began my first active push.
I felt Josie’s body come down and out quickly and fluidly. It was yet another
amazing sensation that I hope to never forget. It was as if she did a
somersault out of my body and into the water. There were three pushes total,
and Josie was born.
Kim immediately guided Josie through my legs in the water,
and I reached down and grabbed her. Our next movements were somehow perfectly
choreographed as I pulled her up out of the water, and turned to sit down,
while Kim pulled the amniotic sac off of Josie’s head. She had been born in the
caul, meaning my water had not broken until after she was born. I had heard of
this when reading birth stories, but I didn’t know that it only happened in 1 out
of every 1000 births. Some believe it to be a sign of good luck, or a special blessing on the baby. Josie immediately took a breath and began crying loudly and pinking
up. Josie May was here, she was perfect, and I couldn’t help but be in shock
from what had just transpired. It was 11:29pm on Saturday December 29th
2012.
“I just had a baby!” I exclaimed. Kevin grabbed the video camera and began filming. Kim
handed me a towel for Josie, and then brought Brenna in to meet her new sister.
Brenna came in with tired eyes, but immediately perked up as she kneeled on our
bed and gazed at me holding her tiny sister. She didn’t say a
word, but seemed entranced by it all. Minutes later Nikki (the student midwife)
walked into our bedroom and immediately began checking us out. She checked to
see if the placenta was ready to come out, but nothing came when I pushed. A
few minutes later Anne Marie arrived and immediately began checking Josie’s
heart rate and making sure all was well with the both of us.
Since the placenta had not been delivered yet, I was still experiencing some
rough contractions. Anne Marie asked if she could cut the cord, which I was fine
with as long as it had stopped pulsing. She had me feel the cord, which was
completely limp and no longer pulsing, and so I agreed.
Kevin came over and cut
the cord, and then took Josie to do skin to skin while they helped me figure
out what to do about birthing the placenta.
They offered to help me out of the
pool, but I was happy to deliver it there. Within a few minutes I started shaking, and figured
I should probably get out of the cooling water and get warm. With Dallin, the
placenta had already detached and was sitting right at my cervix after he was
born. It took a tiny bit of traction from the midwife before it came out. This
time was different. It had not detached, and I was having awful pains from all
the cramps trying to bring it down. After about 55 minutes, some position changes, and
drinking some herbal tea my midwife had brought, the placenta finally came out
and I felt so much better. I found it funny how it took so much more time and
effort to deliver the placenta then it did to push out Josie.
I rinsed off in
the shower, got some clean clothes on, and was honestly feeling quite good minus the pesky after pains. They are definitely worse with
each pregnancy. I had a minor 1st degree tear that my midwife fused
with some Derma bond, and then I was ready to nurse Josie. Once she finished
eating, she was measured and weighed.
At 7 pounds 14 ounces, and 18 inches long, she was my biggest baby
yet. Anne Marie did a full newborn exam, while Kim made me a peanut butter and
honey sandwich, and we sent Brenna back to bed.
Poor Josie had pooped at some point and had meconium up her back and in
her hair somehow. Other than that, she had a clean bill of health.
I noticed
that the tops of her ears were flat, and not curled, which I was told showed that she was in fact a little early. Both midwives studied the creases on the bottoms of her feet, and found the same thing. She was truly a 38 week baby. While we weren’t expecting her until
January, she had plans of her own.
Kim started pumping the water out of the pool and into our shower drain, and
had it deflated and packed up in no time.
She and the midwives cleaned up, took out all the trash from the birth,
and threw any towels that were used in the washer. I had Kevin take a quick picture before they left. I wanted one with our awesome birth team in it, although Kevin (who was the best labor/birth partner I could have asked for) was the one behind the camera.
Dr. Anne Marie (midwife), Nikki (student midwife), Kimberly (doula)
At about 2:30 am on Sunday
December 30th, my midwives and doula left, and it was just the
three of us in our bedroom. It was a little odd as we looked at each other and
thought, "That’s it?!" We don’t have to do anything else? The whole
birth process was so quick, beautifully simple, and left us with a healthy mom
and baby. I couldn’t have felt more blessed as we tucked ourselves in bed for
the night. Our family of five was now a family of six.

In Conclusion:
What a blessing to have 4 healthy children, and to have experienced 3 very different births! From an intervention filled c-section, to a drive through natural vbac in the hospital, to an intervention free home birth, each one teaching me something new. Ever since I learned about natural birth and home birth, after my c-section, it became a dream that some day I might be able to experience one. I will admit that part of me expected it to be some romantic experience, although that was not the reason I chose it. Now that my dream has come true, I can say that our home birth was not the romantic experience I thought it would be. What made it great though, wasn't necessarily that anything was added to the experience, but that nothing was taken away from it. Josie's birth was so simple, straightforward, and driven only by the nature of birth. There was no manipulation, and no requirements or expectations to be met. I didn't have to change environments abruptly, or work with people I didn't know. I was on my own turf, and the only people present were those that I had a great relationship with and that supported me 100%. The most powerful person in the room wasn't a medical provider, or hospital protocol, it was me. So I guess the best part for me, was that her birth was let alone to be whatever it needed to be. My body, and her body were respected, and supported to do what they needed freely, and without criticism or fear, and that's what made it beautiful.
(Brenna's depiction of Josie's birth from her winter vacation book assignment that she did for her Kindergarten)











3 comments:
Thank you for sharing, Melissa! It brought back such wonderful emotions and memories of my own births. I even began getting that cold, nervous, shivering feeling while reading about your contractions picking up and heading into transition. lol! Birth is such a beautiful event. I'm glad it went so wonderfully for you!
Thanks Kendra!
Ahhhh!! Loved it all!! You are awesome! Kinda crazy when you are not expecting it so fast, huh? Don't know about you, but it took me quite a while to process what had happened....even when I had baby in my arms! Holy cow, you have 4 kids!! Good luck....lol!
Post a Comment