Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Quit playing games with my ♥

About a year ago I was diagnosed with a heart condition called Superventricular Tachycardia. Now before you start sending meals, taking dibs on my children and preparing my funeral, you should understand that it isn't life threatening. It's basically small episodes where my heart begins to beat at around 150-180+ bpm. The average (resting) heart rate is 60-80 bpm. I've been told it's fairly common in people who are 20-30 years old and mostly women who are tall or pregnant. I'm tall and a woman, so there you go. I've experienced these episodes a few times here and there but never had a serious case until April of last year, and then again today.

It all started this morning while I was in a spinning class at the gym with my MIL Shirley. Things were going great, we were burnin lots of calories, sweatin up a storm and then 30 min into the class my heart totally wigged out. I immediately knew what was happening, so I stopped and just sat there to let it get back to normal. I finished the class, taking it easy and then went out to check my heart rate on the treadmill. It read 220.

By the time I got home it was still beating really hard and I knew I was going to have to do something. So we googled it on the computer and found a few ways to try and slow down my heart rate and this is what we found:

1. Take a deep breath and then strain like you are having a bowel movement.


2. Cough really hard.


3. Stick your face in a bowl of ice water.

Although these solutions might not seem very appealing, the other option is much much worse. Last year, when I ended up in urgent care after my heart rate wouldn't go down on it's own, they used a drug called Adenosine. First you are given an IV, then they administer the drug through the IV and warn you that it might feel "a little funny". According to wikopedia the side effects are described as "a feeling of death," or "a sense of impending doom." The drug basically stops your heart so that it can restart with a regular heart rhythm. It felt like a car was being crushed into my chest. Ouch.

Naturally I wanted to stay as far away from that drug as possible. So I strained with all my might (after using the restroom mind you) and I coughed like I had the black lung, and I thought about how ice water would feel on my face. None of it worked so we took a break and watched some Lost, hoping the magic of the island would reverse my heart issues. Another hour passed with no change and I decided to have Kevin give me a blessing. Immediately afterwards he told me that I should continue trying because faith without works is dead.

Fast forward another hour and I'm at urgent care getting an EKG. They tell me to cough and "bare down"and put a bag of ice water on my face. Nothing works and I am so devastated. A few minutes later the IV is in, a few tears are shed, and they tell me they will be back in a few minutes with the drug. "Keep trying", the nurse says "I'm not giving up on you yet". So I take a deep breath and strain as hard as I can, not caring what might end up in my pants. I do it again and again, and lo and behold just minutes before they came back, my heart rate went down to 100bpm.

HALLELUJAH!

I was so grateful at that moment. I knew Heavenly Father was looking out for me. He knew I was alone and scared to go through that procedure again, and he answered my prayer. I was grateful for yet another small miracle in my life.

17 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm really glad that you were able to avoid the Adenosine and that everything is AOK. I can't imagine how scary that would be. You are one tough cookie.

The Robinsons said...

I'm so glad everything went okay and you didn't have to get the medicine stuff. Scary! Stop working out so hard :-)

Adria said...

oh my gosh missy! i'm so sorry you had to go thru that! i'm glad everything went back to normal before they gave you the "drug of death".

Teea Lamb said...

I'm so glad everything turned out. Maybe it was a sign that you shouldn't take your spinning class anymore.... :) Kynslee had a couple of bouts of tachycardia. It was so scary. They tried the ice and some other methods (they couldn't really get her to bare down!)which included giving her a little shock to get her heart to kind of snap out of it, but nothing worked so they finally had to give her medicine. It was such a scary feeling. I can't imagine going through it myself! But it sounds like you guys were prepared and knew what to do. So glad you're okay.

Myra said...

Well, I'm your visiting teacher, so I really should do something. Need me to watch your sweet girls while you take a nap? Maybe I'm just aching to see what it would be like having twins in this house...and because your girls are so cute. Let me know what I can do to help. And keep your heart down.

(I'm reading Twilight, and there's a voice in the back of my head telling me that if your heart is racing too much then it will attack vampires. Silly voice.)

Anonymous said...

oh.my.gosh. how scary! you are so brave and such a tough {tall} woman. like everyone else said, i am so glad you are okay! its amazing how mindful HF is of each and every one of His children.

The Webbs said...

What a scary experience. I'm so sorry that you had to go through that, but really happy that you are alright. Let me know if you need anything.

Amanda said...

I am so glad that you were able to get everything under control on your own! Good thing you have such a great guy with the priesthood! PS I want to be first on the list for your girls...just in case! JK

Corinne said...

That is scary! I can totally relate. They actually took Alex c-section because I was having one of those episodes. Luckily it's just when I'm pregnant. I've heard of that drug and know it's no fun. I'm glad everything was ok. If it happens again and you need a friend to sit at urgent care with you let me know. They practically know us by name we're there so often.

Annie said...

Oh man! Scary! I hate the feeling of having rapid heart beats. It must feel like a super anxiety attack that won't end. :( Glad you and the family were able to get over it. That drug does NOT sound like fun. Love you girl and I am glad you are still kickin'

Steve and Steph said...

Melissa!!! I am so glad you are ok! I know it's not life threatening like you said, but still it's an ordeal. Getting an IV and going to the hospital suck...You made me cry. I am grateful Heavenly Father gave you that little miracle too...I remember you telling me and Tiff about this a long time ago and I've always wondered how you were doing with that. I love you girl! I'm glad you're alright.

Malia said...

Oh my goodness, they gave me steroid cocktail on Sunday through an IV and I thought I was going to die. I can't imagine how that drug makes you feel. I'm so sorry.

You are so brave.

Missy said...

Thank you all for your sweet comments. The more I read my post the more I feel like the biggest wimp ever...

Natalie said...

You are not a wimp! I don't think I ever want my heart stopped! No way.

Alison said...

Between Kevin's kidneys and your heart, you guys are falling apart! :)

What a scary experience, I'm glad you're okay.

Robyn and Anthony said...

Oh my goodness- sooo scary! Glad everything worked out ok in the end. Hope that doesn't happen again!

choice_spirit said...

SVT is no picnic... I know! When my non-epileptic seizures started I had SVT and they said that my heart stopped, and I didn't have that drug that stops your heart... they had to revive me. We were all so scared.