(the line is VERY faint, but it's there!)
On April 27th 2012, we found out we were expecting our 4th child. I had hoped
that maybe this time the birth wouldn't require us to be at the hospital, and that we would be able to have this baby at home. I had the same hopes with
Dallin's birth, but chose the hospital route with a midwife, and of course
laboring at home because it felt right. After a lot of prayer, interviewing providers,
and pondering about our options, we felt that a home birth would be safe and
good for both the baby and I. Even though the laws in Arizona limited me to two providers
to choose from (because of my previous c-section), and our insurance refused to help pay for it, we made the commitment
and our preparations began.
Charting put my guess date at January 8th 2013. Dallin was also due on the
8th, but came 4 days later, so I figured there was a good chance something similar
could happen. Even so, I went about preparing for this little girl to make her
entrance. There were times when the possibility of her coming early ran across my mind, but I usually dismissed it, as I didn't want to psyche myself out. I did buy her a Christmas stocking with her name embroidered on it, so
it could hang with the rest of our family's. It didn't feel right for her not
have one, as I considered her very much part of our family already.
Christmas
Day had me at 38 weeks on the dot.Three days later, on Friday December 28th, I had noticed
some good practice contractions throughout the day. Nothing uncomfortable, just
more consistent than before. I stopped drinking red raspberry leaf tea as
my uterus seemed to be toning itself fine without it. I found myself in a
nesting frenzy cleaning our house, and even vacuuming late into the night. The
day to day messes and dust bunnies were suddenly my worst enemies, and I was
determined to come off conqueror. The next morning was Saturday, and I had that
same urge to get things done, as well as cross everything off my to-do list.
After getting ready for the day, I walked through the kitchen and noticed
that my "spotless masterpiece" no longer existed. It was still
"clean", but there were cereal boxes strewn across the counter, bowls
half filled with milk and breakfast remnants, and random cabinet doors left
open. The clutter wasn't much, but it existed, and that was enough to make me
lose my marbles. I was FURIOUS. With less than two weeks before my guess date,
I wanted...needed the house to be kept clean. How was I supposed to invite my
providers and our new baby into a messy home? At that moment I felt so alone in
my goal. I tried to keep calm, but it was no use. I promptly removed myself
from the house, sat on our back porch, and cried like my dog had just died.
Kevin found me about 10 minutes later, confused and not sure how to handle
my over-hormonal state. He just draped his sweater across my short sleeve shirt
and skirt clad body, and walked back into the house. Eventually I came to, and
apologized to Kevin for my overreaction. I blotted the black streaks from under
my eyes, and we made our way to IKEA to find something to store Josie's clothes
in. It was one of the last things on my list.
As I strolled around the store, I
noticed a subtle tightness in my back with each contraction. I questioned
whether I was really feeling it or not, as it was easy to ignore, but the light
sensation continued over and over again. I was also feeling a tiny bit of cramping
with each contraction, the same kind that I felt 44 hours before Dallin was
born. As I walked through each aisle, I would stop for each contraction and
then glance at my phone to check the time. It was about 3:45pm, and the
contractions were coming 6 minutes apart. Now the thought of this being
"anything" just seemed so silly, especially being 10 days away from
my guess date. I don't have a history of pre-40 week babies, and neither do any of
the women in my family. Josie was coming in January, or so we thought.



4 comments:
ah it's like a good book i just can't put down.
I Love stories!!!! I'll be waiting for your next post :)
um yeah....i was reading this at stop lights this morning! you are amazing! i can't wait to read more :D
you guys are sweet, thank you:)
She is beautiful, congrats you brave brave woman! I wish my body produced enough pitocin on its own to do a home birth. You are so cool!
Post a Comment