Today was Brenna and Brooke's first day of Kindergarten!
Crazy stuff! So I was looking back at their pictures from preschool, and was amazed at how much they have changed each year. Take a gander...
1st year of Preschool
2nd Year of Preschool
1st Day of Kindergarten
I knew that Kindergarten was coming, I just put it off as a distant thought until yesterday when I realized it was here! I felt nervous and anxious, and wondered how I would feel dropping them off that first day. I was very used to preschool, but that was only for 2.5 hours a day, and not the whole day, every day. I'm a mom and I'm full of pregnancy hormones, so I was pretty concerned. I didn't want to be a blubbering mess. I spent the day cleaning and getting their backpacks and things ready. Once it was bedtime, Kevin gave them each a blessing which was very sweet. I became more nervous by the minute, but the girls were cool as cucumbers. They had been counting down the days, and couldn't wait to start school. I was exhausted by the time I was done making their lunches and finishing things around the house. Around 10pm I was in bed, but didn't end up falling asleep until close to 2am. My body was so tired, but my mind started racing once my head hit the pillow. "What ifs" began to plague my mind. "What if it's too long for them to be away?" "What if they get hurt, and I'm not there?", "What if some crusty old janitor tries to abduct them?" A few hours in I wondered if I should have considered homeschooling, or having them start next year instead. Finally I broke down crying, and asked Kevin for a blessing. I may have needed one more then the girls did! It was exactly what I needed, and I finally fell asleep:)
This morning went really well, even with the lack of sleep on my end. We all got up on time and everyone was ready and out the door as planned. It was a zoo at the school, and finding a parking spot amidst the maze of cars was interesting. Fortunately, my MIL took Dallin, and Kevin came with me to help get the girls to their classes. They opted to be in separate classes, and each one had their own specific things they needed to do that morning. I was so glad to have Kevin there! We got them all settled into their classes, and sitting by someone they knew from church. They weren't scared at all, and I didn't shed a tear. Success!
When I came home with Dallin, I wasn't sure what to do exactly. We played for a while, and watched some of the Olympics on TV. I got ready for the day, we ate lunch, and Dallin went down for his nap. The whole house was quiet, for almost 3 hours, and it was surreal! Suddenly I began cleaning things, and doing laundry, and organizing, and it hit me that the reason why some people have such clean houses, is because their kids are at school and they have time like this to just focus on cleaning. I finally get it, and wow, what a phenomenon! I won't lie, it was actually really nice to be able to just clean and do nothing else. Every now and then I'd watch the clock and wonder what they were up to. I thought about them when it was their lunch time, and wondered how they were doing. By the time I went to turn on the TV and veg some, I realized it was time to get Dallin up and go pick up the girls.
Once again, the traffic around the school was horrendous, but we managed to find a parking spot and reach the girls classroom just before the bell rang. They only had good things to report about their class and what they did. Brenna mentioned that when she went to the bathroom with her class friends, that she accidentally de-pants before she was in the stall and all the girls giggled. She is such a funny girl, but I was glad that she could laugh about it, and I made sure to help her to remember to be in the stall BEFORE she undresses! Overall everything went terrific, and I'm excited for them.
Yay for kindergarten!
4 comments:
how fun! i cant believe they are old enough to be in school. time flies! we'll have to get our boys together now that you have all this free time :)
I'm glad everything went so well! I was a mess the night before and had to get a blessing too. It really, really helped. I can't imagine how much more emotional I would've been if I was preggers. I am so happy they love it and that we survived our kids first days of Kindergarten. You're a wonderful mama!(:
Way to go Mom!
Kindergarten starts for us next year and I hope i can be as strong dropping my girl off. I have so many worries! I think the chaos will help my tears from coming at the school, but i'm sure i will lose it when i get home.
They grow up so fast! What little cuties!
Post a Comment