I got to play nurse for two weeks this December. My job consisted of wiping buggery noses, and moistening the crusty eyeballs of my offspring. It was not a pretty sight. The kids were kind enough to share their germs with each other, and since they were highly contagious we went into quarantine mode. Poor Kevin got some 24 hour flu/sinus infection plus pink eye, and so I was doting on him as well. I was fine, as I usually am, but towards the end of the week my nose began acting like Niagara Falls. Still I felt fine enough, although I sounded like a chain smoker, and thought for sure I had beaten the system by not succumbing to the diseases. Nevertheless the week everyone else was feeling better, I got pink eye and bronchitis and Dallin got a nasty ear infection. I felt pretty awful and since my last pair of glasses were purchased 9 years ago, I was as blind as a mole without contacts in. Amongst watching plenty of movies, we managed to muster up a few crafts to keep us from going crazy here in the house.
One was writing letters to Santa, which I already posted about. This took up a good amount of time and they were very thoughtful in what they wanted to ask for. They also had a hard time making up their mind, but who can blame them?!
I learned how to cut out paper snowflakes, and we decorated them with glitter. Glitter usually intimidates me as it sticks to everything, and it was the last thing I wanted in my swollen pink eyeballs, but it really wasn't bad at all. We looped ribbon on each snowflake to make them into an ornament. The next week the girls handed them out to elderly people at an assisted living home.
The girls had been bugging me about making a "snow glo" for forever. Working with glass containers made me nervous, as they tend to drop everything they touch, but eventually I cracked. They weren't too hard to make, although I'm sure I could have made them a little better looking...or a lot better looking. The girls liked them though, so it was fun.
When the kids had recovered and I was the only one sick, we went for a short walk to the park. Consequently the girls started collecting things off the ground, and I managed to talk them down to one pine cone, one rock, and one leaf each.
The girls asked if they could paint them when we got home which sounded genius at the time. Whatever keeps them happy! Brooke wanted to bring Santa her painted rock as a gift which I thought was very cute.
And that is how we survived.
1 comment:
I love all of your crafts, especially your snow glos! What a great idea, lots of fun!!!!
Post a Comment