Friday, September 9, 2011

A Princess Party For Ten

When Brenna and Brooke requested a princess party for their 4th birthday, I was not at all shocked. They love dresses, castles, and unicorns, and have watched Beauty and Beast and The Little Mermaid twenty times in the last 6 months. They wanted to dress like a princess on their birthday, and so a princess party it was. Since they are "coming of age," we decided to do a friends party which was a first. Even though their birthday landed on Labor Day, all eight of the girls we invited were in town, and we were going to have ten four year olds at our house for their party.

First things first, was their princess outfits, as all were asked to come in princess attire. I am the type who doesn't like to pay full price for things, especially little girl dresses that cost triple the amount that I would pay for a dress myself. After checking out the prices at Target and WalMart, the girls and I made our way to our neighborhood Goodwill. Lucky for us, they were just putting out Halloween costumes, and had tons of princess gear to choose from. Brooke chose a Belle dress, and Brenna chose a Snow White dress that they were going to throw away because it had a tear on the hem underneath the skirt! Rubbish! Five minutes with a needle and some thread, and it was like new again. We scored both of their dresses, which were the real deal Disney brand for $11. Shazam!

The next task in our preparations was the birthday cake. Last year's was a castle, and I wanted something a little different. I remembered the barbie cakes people use to make back in the day, and thought a princess barbie cake would do the trick. I followed this tutorial (minus a few layers of frosting because really it's suppose to be a cake, not a glob of frosting), and with some help from my talented sister Tina, we had our princess cake! Notice the modest frosted cap sleeves. This barbie had a little baked in integrity.
Next was the games and craft. We divided the kids into two groups of five, a birthday girl in each, and rotated them through the house.
 First was The Poisoned Apple Toss. We took red plastic cups and taped a picture of a Disney villain on each one. We stacked them on our coffee table, gave each girl 3 foam apples and let her have at it!
Second was the Pin The Kiss on the Frog game which was a favorite of the girls. Kevin drew and painted a picture of a frog prince, and each girl took a turn trying to stick the lips on the frogs mouth while blindfolded. One of the girls got amazingly close, I was impressed!

We also had a craft for the girls to do. I took birthday party hats and covered them with pink or purple construction paper. Then, I threaded a ribbon through the top to make them look like a princess hat. I printed off each of their names, and they got to pick out jewels to glue to the hats. They looked super cute when they were done, but unfortunately the elastic strap kept breaking on most of them. I'm still glad we did them, and I think it was fun to have something for them to take home.

The third game we had was Princess Memory, which was a game we already had. This one took a little more patience then the other games, and some of the girls had a hard time not peeking under each card to find a match.

The last game we did was called Don't Bite Snow White!, and was my made up princess version of Don't Eat Pete!. I don't think any of them were familiar with Don't Eat Pete to begin with, so a lot of  M&Ms were eaten that were not suppose to be, but it was really fun. We had a castle tent for the girl to hide in while we decided which picture of snow white was "it," and the kids loved that there was candy involved. 

  Thank goodness we had my Mom, sister, friend, and Mother-In-Law at the party to keep things going smoothly with the games, and occupying Dallin too. Things got a little crazy at times, and the party would not have gone as well without them!
  After the craft and games were done, we had the girls open their gifts. It was like Christmas morning all over again. Their friends were so nice and gave them some really fun gifts!
Lastly we sang happy birthday, and the girls blew out their candles. We partook of the princess cake, and the kids slowly trickled out of our home with princess hats and goodie bags in hand. It was a BUSY birthday, but a super fun one.
Brenna and Brooke both said they wished it could be their birthday every day.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Great job on their party!
Love that cake!

Annie said...

Gabi had so much fun. The games looked great! You were brave to host so many little princesses! Gabi has been asking for a party of her own! LOL