Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Lately {A Progress Report}


Lately, I've been slacking in the blogging department.
(aren't they cute?!)


It's no secret, and there are plenty of reasons why. I'd have to say that being a mom of 3 little kids is one of them, but really how lucky am I? With everything going on in the last year it's been tough to find time to do it. Once the kids are in bed for the night, I just want to become part of our couch for a few hours. I miss taking the time to be more creative and post often, but to everything there is a season, and one day that season of creative blogging will return. Until then, please bare with me:)

Lately, we've been moving to a new place.
(our new backyard)
It's hard to believe that it's already been a year since we sold our house and moved, but our lease is up this month. A couple in our ward were looking for tenants, and we felt that their offer was too good to refuse. I'm not a fan of packing and unpacking boxes, but fortunately our new house was only a mile down the road. Plus we had plenty of help doing the grunt work. All but one box has been unpacked, and we are growing more accustomed to our new environment. Now we have a garage and a backyard with grass for the first time ever, and we've been enjoying it!



Lately, we've been using cloth diapers on Dallin.
(inside out diaper shells on the L, inserts and wipes on the R)
We started doing full time cloth diapers 3 months ago, and I have no regrets! I was a little (ok a LOT) intimidated by cloth, and how much time I thought it would take to do the washing and prepping etc. It turned out to be SO much easier then I thought. We use these pocket diapers, which function just like a disposable once stuffed with an insert. You just wash them instead of throwing them away. I actually enjoy hanging them to dry on our clothesline out back (not that you have to with cloth), but it makes me feel all little-house-on-the-prairie like. Even better, the girls love helping me with them, and I love the fact that I haven't had to buy diapers in many, many, moons. Yay for that!


Lately, we've been living as a one car family.
(if you see Kevin remind him that cool people wear bike helmets)
We sold Kevin's Honda in February, and since then he's been riding his bike to work and back. I was worried that having only one car would make things difficult, but it really hasn't been that bad. We rarely come across an instance where we can't make our plans work, or borrow a car from a family member near bye. Kevin has been a great sport about riding his bike to work, and it's saving us some moo-lah which is nice.


Lately, I've been trying to adopt some better eating habits.

Since my post on struggling to get rid of the rest of the baby weight, I made some changes. A friend of mine shared this website which I have found really helpful. I quickly came to the conclusion that I needed to eat a lot less sugary/white carb foods, and a lot more whole grain, fruits and vegetables instead. My first week of staying away from the "white stuff" (as much as possible) was really, really tough. My body was going through withdrawal, and I'll be honest, it sucked big time. Fortunately that part didn't last more then a week. In the last month or so I've seen a lot of really positive changes. I started losing weight again, my skin is clearer (if I don't cheat a lot), and I feel healthier in general. I'm not perfect by any means, but since it's not a diet it's OK. I still eat pizza once a week, and I enjoy a little bit of sweets when I feel like it, but I try to limit them a lot more then I use to.


Lately, Dallin has sprouted a few teeth.
(careful...he bites!)
It was no surprise that it was Friday the 13th when his first tooth peeked out from under those shiny gums. A few days later, he got his second bottom tooth as well. Those suckers are sharp, and I've learned that if I try to get him to nurse for longer then he wants, he'll go all count dracula on me. Dallin continues to love baby food, crackers, beans and anything solid. This kid would eat Campbell's thick and chunky soup if I let him. He's always grabbing for the girls pb & j's, and once he starts crawling he's gonna get one... I'm sure of it.


Lately, the girls finished their first year at Happy Apple Preschool!
They have had so much fun going to preschool this year. I have been so amazed by all that they have learned. Brenna and Brooke know all about colors and shapes, months, days of the week, animals, and all sorts of good stuff. They have memorized poems and fun songs, and they have filled our house with hand made crafts. Preschool will start again for them in August, but until then we've got swim lessons and a trip to San Diego to keep them busy:)

8 comments:

Jen said...

We went down to 1 vehicle last year and we survived. Luckily Scott's works is really close, and he was able to carpool to school.
But we r now shopping for a van.

Not looking forward to car payments and ins again :(

Way cute post! & I am totally checking out you friends Healthy habits blog!

The Rogers said...

I can't believe how big Dallin is getting! Your kids are all so cute!
Good job on cutting out the sugary white carbs- I've been doing the same thing. Week one was a total breakdown! Keep it up though! :)

OurFamily said...

I've missed your posts! Your kids are getting so big! So I wimped out right after Graham was born and did disposables for about a month but then after a week of the trial from gogonatural, i ordered prefolds and covers, and some pockets and i really like doing cloth diapers! So thank you for your help in that department. I really want to start hanging them to dry too!

Anonymous said...

*love the new backyard!

*i agree, nothing makes me feel more "homemakery" than hanging cd's on the line to dry :) i'm so excited to go full force with the pocket diapes. pre-folds are good, but pockets are much, much better!

*love that W.O.W blog. i don't think any of us ever eats perfectly all of the time!

*lastly- your 3 babes are so cute! the girls are getting so big and that dallin boy looks like such a happy little clam :)

Kimmie said...

I have missed your blogging!!!! Your kids are so super precious and adorable! Congrats on the new house! (:

Monica said...

haha I love this post. You are so brave for using cloth diapers, I wish I was that strong!! I love that pic btw. The one with the cloth diapers air drying. : )

Robyn and Anthony said...

Seriously it is going to take a lot more work to blog with another baby soon- so getting any blogs done with 3 kids is quite a feat! I heard the kiddos are sick- hope they are better soon! We'd love to come see your new place :)

Annie said...

Congrats on all the changes in your life! We need to get together soon!