Monday, October 25, 2010

The Adjustment

We've been a family of five for six weeks now!
Here's an update on how we are adjusting to our sweet new addition.

The Cat
I think Toby met his doom when the girls were born. He was no longer the only child, and as the "firstborn" in our family, he had some jealousy issues. The girls immediately stole all of his limelight, and he was not a fan. His days of napping on our laps and being incessantly photographed were over, and that definitely took some adjusting to. With the addition of a third child, Toby moves down another notch on the totem pole. This is nothing new for him. He still eats his expensive kitty food, drinks from his favorite toilet, and barfs on our carpet.
P.S. Anyone want a free cat?

The Girls
Fortunately for us, Brenna and Brooke fell in love with Dallin the moment they saw him. He was like the ultimate baby doll that was coming home to live with them. They marvel at his tiny limbs and laugh at all of his noises. Every day they tell me that he is "SO CUTE," while patting his head or trying to smoosh their face against his. We are still working on that part... The girls are truly mommies at heart, and enjoy being around Dallin. They are also great helpers, and are good about retrieving diapers and wipes. They are learning that things like getting their cups refilled may take a little longer if Dallin is being taken care of at the moment. Even though someone isn't always available to play with them, they have a lot of fun playing with each other.

The Dad Kevin took a nine day paternity leave when Dallin was born. Having him home for that time was a blessing for everyone. Tending to a newborn seemed to come so naturally to him this time around. Even so, he would find himself waking up in the middle of the night to make sure Dallin was still breathing, or asking me when I fed him last. I don't think that part ever goes away. He has done a great job helping to care for Dallin when possible, and really took on a bulk of the responsibilities when it came to the girl's needs. Kevin has been great about taking Brenna and Brooke on fun outings when he can, and the girls really enjoy getting some daddy-daughter time in. On mornings when I haven't gotten much sleep, he will get the girls started with their breakfast and offer to drive them to preschool. Kevin is always willing to take on extra tasks, and never complains. Taking care of three kids is definitely a team sport, and Kevin has done a great job.

The Mom

Caring for one newborn instead of two is definitely easier, but I am still trying to get used to being so outnumbered. My baby sling and wrap continue to be very helpful. I try to keep my goals simple and attainable, like getting everyone bathed/dressed/fed, and then seeing what else I can accomplish. Everything I do takes a lot longer to get done then it did before, but I know it will get better as I learn how to be more efficient. Dallin is good at sleeping for longer stretches at night, and going to back to sleep soon after I feed him which is really nice. I do feel more at ease this go around, since I've already been-there-done-that, but I do find myself forgetting small details of the past. Like how you should never leave a baby's bottom uncovered and aimed in your direction for too long. I think that learning to have more patience with the girls has probably been the hardest part for me. With the lack of sleep and added responsibilities, it's sometimes hard to keep my cool when something goes aloof. I've received so much help with meals and watching the girls, and it has all made the transition so much easier. While I won't attempt a trip to the grocery store with all three kids anytime soon, I know I will be ready for it one day, and that things will only get easier from here.

The Baby
(1 week old)
This little fellow has adjusted quite well to his new world. He continues to do a great job of being cute, eating, sleeping, filling his diaper, and putting up with the occasional close encounter with his older sisters. His little body has started to fill out already and he continues to grow and change so much every week. He has put on almost 4 and half pounds since he was born, and I can't believe that I'm already boxing up some of his clothes. Dallin loves to be held, swaddled and bounced, and has one favorite binky that he likes. He has been a pretty easy going baby so far, and we are so blessed to have him in our family.

6 comments:

{autie} said...

love that post! Can't wait to meet big D in person!

Beka said...

He's so handsome:)!! Yes, i forgot about the built in squirt gun too-he still gets me every once in awhile:) You sound great- i'm glad he's a good baby- having one is SO much easier & so nice huh:)? I'm glad your girls are adjusting well to him, boys did too- maybe w twins bc they never were an only child they adjust pretty good eh? WE should get together sometime:)

Anonymous said...

i love this post! :)
he is such a handsome little guy. i'm so happy for your family of 5!

i had to laugh out loud, knowing well what happens with exposed tooshies. i've been shot at from both exits in those regions ;)

Eaton Family said...

What a cute family! Cant believe that it has already been 6 weeks! You look amazing by the way!
I love how little girls know how to be mommies right away! So sweet!

The Robinsons said...

Loved this post. I only had one toddler with a new baby and I remember how hard it was adjusting. You are amazing! Glad to hear you are all adjusting well. Miss you!!

Emmy said...

Yes great post!