As you can see, our girls have thoroughly mastered their cribs. Every afternoon at nap time, they perform a series of gymnastic routines before completing their final dismount, and finally going to sleep. While their flexibility and agility is very entertaining, I sometimes fear for their safety. They have also figured out how to efficiently climb in and out of their cribs, which doesn't make me feel any better about the situation.
The bottom line is that they are ready to be out of their cribs, but we aren't sure what to get them next. That is where the question of the T's begins.
Should we get them
Toddler Beds?
Twin Beds?
or
a Trundle Bed?
And does a twin bed mean that it will literally fit a set of twins?
If you would be so kind to share your experience in this matter, we would be so grateful.
21 comments:
We did the toddler bed then twin bed. But they really don't fit in the toddler bed for that long, so if you go that route, don't spend a lot of money on a bed.. and you already have the mattresses.
I liked that method as twin beds are usually so much higher and less risk of falling out and they can get in and out more easily.
There is a bed that comes in black or white at IKEA that I abselutely L.O.V.E! I dont know what they call it but it grows and extends in length as your kiddos grow. You might want to look into it. Let me know what you think!!
My sister and I did bunk beds when we were little, and we loved them... saved space, too.
Do the cribs convert to toddler beds at all? That's what we did with our kids for awhile. And then we just went straight to the twin bed. With Skyler we actually did about a week with just the twin mattress on the floor. I wouldn't suggest toddler beds unless you need them for space reasons because like Emmy said, they just grow out of them quickly. You may be able to find some cheap ones on craigslist though. I do like the idea of trundle bed too, if you're trying to conserve space.
Too funny!
I would do a trundle bed. Or if you have room 2 twins.
Your girls are AMAZING! They are gymnasts for sure. As for the bed both Tyler and Emma went straight to twin beds but I put Reagan in a toddler bed because it was smaller. But noe I REALLY want a trundle bed for them. So I say save the money and go straight to a trundle!
We put Josh in a toddler bed, but only because we got it for free.
I would say just do the twin beds, then you don't have to worry about them growing out of them quickly. My sister got one from Ikea for about $100 back when we were roommates, and the nice thing about it was that it didn't require a box spring, but it was still as tall as if there was a box spring. (The legs were pretty tall.) It was great for storing things under it. And if you're worried about the beds being too tall, just put the mattresses directly on the floor for a bit.
That is some skill! I love the binkis in their mouths while they do it too! We've decided to just get the twin bed b/c they do grow out of the toddler beds fast. You can get mesh guard rails for cheap at Target or Walmart if you're worried about them falling out but usually by the time kids are your girls age they've learned the boundaries of the bed.
I don't understand toddler beds. I went straight to twin bed with storage underneath, but if we would have had more children I would have done twin beds that turn into bunk beds when they're ready. Stella's bed is from IKEA and the mattress is a little lower than the side so she doesn't fall out, but if she's ever in a different bed, she falls out. They'll learn.
I say to twin beds! Just make sure that there is some protection from keeping the girls from falling out on their heads.
My kids both went straight to twin beds. I'm sure they will be fine. If you're looking to save space, either a trundle or twins that can be turned into bunk beds would work. GOOD LUCK!
Hilarious picts!
I vote for twin beds for the twins. It just sounds so...right. ;)
I don't have twin girls but mine are 20 months apart so we've gone through the whole bed dilema. When we moved number 2 to a bed we just went to bunk beds. That was fine because we just put the older one on the top bunk. Then we experimented with putting them in a twin bed together and that did not work. Either they fought or they played. I would just go straight to the twin beds. Some friends of ours did a full size bed and their girls did great. So I guess it depends on the girl.
I've always favored going right to a twin bed. Why do the extra expense for another bed (toddler) that you'll have to not only pay for but store? Unless there's a specific reason (like for our little Sammy one day, she'll probably do a toddler bed...but she may be in that bed for the rest of her life realistically), then jump up to the big girl bed and get a cheap railing thingy that you can put on it for safety. I know plenty of people who have done bunk beds...but I love trundle beds. I actually used one with my brother when I was little (I was scared to sleep alone in my room, so I'd come into his room and pull out the mattress and sleep there). Those are my 2 cents...but I'm interested in what you decide as we haven't officially tackled this issue yet.
we just moved the guest bedroom bed into ky's room...which was a full. my girlfriend has twins and she just did two twin beds, i would do that:)
I say either one twin or if you have the room 2! I would skip the toddler bed .... they dont fit in them for very long... more bedding you have to buy... and in a few months they'll need to upgrade and then you just spent all that $ on toddler beds so now what? You can do a day bed and flip it so it's like a big crib (so they have more room but cant really get out )we did that with Lexi. I actually have one for sale too! let me know if you are interested??? and good luck!! oh, we also turned the door knob around so we could lock it from the outside, sounds mean i know but then they cant get up and walk around the house at night. :)
Alison- One of our cribs converts to a toddler bed, but it's the one we will be getting rid of.
We will have to check out IKEA and see what we can fit into their dinky room. It sounds like twin beds would be our best bet.
Thanks for all your advice! You guys are awesome!
Your girls are really flexible and good at gymnastics! I foresee a gold medal on the balance beam in their futures! We got Stanton a toddler bed and it was really junky and broke, so if you get one of those, make sure it's made well. We got it from Baies R Us, and we thought it looked sturdy, but it wasn't.
I would not do a Toddler Bed. To me why spend the money and time getting them to like the toddler bed and getting them to stay in it. Then a year later do it all over again! I got talee a bed just before Aubree was born. So by the Aubree was born talee was good to go and I never had to worry about it again.
Hey I heard you where thinking of doing home birth? A lady I am in YW's with had her last 3 kids at home after a bad c/s experience. she has been writing about it on her blog the last couple days if you want to check it out...http://prairie-mama.blogspot.com/
She is awesome and knows a lot:)
Missy-
Thanks for your comment. There do seem to be a lot of boys this year. My birth plans are going well so far as long as my anti-bodies don't get higher. I've been told I'm an excellent candidate for a VBAC. I hope you'll be able to get your desired birth too!
Post a Comment