I just got back from an adventurous 4 days spent at girls camp. I have to admit to being a tad nervous leaving my girls for such a "long" time. Whether it was because I felt they really needed me or because I really needed them, I can't quite decide. I knew they were in good hands and I am so grateful for the help that allowed me to go to this year. Once we were deep into the woods my anxiety ceased and I was able to soak in all that camp had to offer. I enjoyed the simplicity of nature and it quickly became a haven from all the technology and normalcy's of life. I loved not being tied to any sort of electronics; no Internet, no TV, no radio, with the exception of a few phone calls home to check on the herd of course. It was luxurious almost. Minus the one shower rule and sleeping on a plastic wrapped mattress.
The transition from being a mom of toddlers to a cabin mom of teenagers was interesting. I was consistently entertained with their jokes and conversations. They too seemed to have their own language that left me down right baffled at times. The girls had a sweet and innocent quirkiness about them that kept me laughing. Since becoming a Young Women's leader, I've figured that I wasn't that much older than they are. For this reason I assumed that I was more of a cool cabin older sister than a mom. After hearing several songs at the dance which I didn't recognize it became more obvious to me that a decade does make a difference.
Alas, I am a total cabin mom.
There is so much to tell, but where to start?
Can I tell you that I ate more sugary junk food than I ever imagined?
Can I tell you that I savored that one hot shower until I HAD to get out?
Can I tell you that I LOVED being in nature, bugs and all?
Can I tell you how awesome my young women are?
Can I tell you how much the camp songs have changed since I was a beehive?
Can I tell you how many girls ended up getting hurt while at camp?
(no serious injuries, just girls being girls)
Can I tell you how I froze because I did a horrible job at predicting what the weather would be like?
Can I tell you how many people probably saw me sitting on the pot because they didn't know how to properly check to see if the stall is occupied or not?
Can I tell you that I felt so much more connected to the Spirit while I was at camp?
Can I tell you how spiritually renewed I feel after so many wonderful camp experiences?
Can I tell you that I missed my sweet girls and my guy but this "break" is what I really needed?
Can I tell you how much more annoying it was to turn on the radio this morning and hear a raunchy song and any song for that matter?
Can I tell you that I had 244 emails in my inbox and a long list of blog posts that needed to be read? (I'm not that popular, I'm just on a few e-mail lists)
Can I tell you how hairy my legs were when I got home?
Can I tell you how good it felt to sleep in my own bed?
Can I tell you how many girls ended up getting hurt while at camp?
(no serious injuries, just girls being girls)
Can I tell you how I froze because I did a horrible job at predicting what the weather would be like?
Can I tell you how many people probably saw me sitting on the pot because they didn't know how to properly check to see if the stall is occupied or not?
Can I tell you that I felt so much more connected to the Spirit while I was at camp?
Can I tell you how spiritually renewed I feel after so many wonderful camp experiences?
Can I tell you that I missed my sweet girls and my guy but this "break" is what I really needed?
Can I tell you how much more annoying it was to turn on the radio this morning and hear a raunchy song and any song for that matter?
Can I tell you that I had 244 emails in my inbox and a long list of blog posts that needed to be read? (I'm not that popular, I'm just on a few e-mail lists)
Can I tell you how hairy my legs were when I got home?
Can I tell you how good it felt to sleep in my own bed?
Can I tell you how heavenly it was to come home to a CLEAN house and a sweet husband who had spent the morning cleaning it?
Can I tell you how excited I was to see my girls and how they seemed so much more grown up then when I left?
Can I tell you how fun camp was, how glad I was that I went, but how happy I am to be back?
OK then.
10 comments:
I can't wait to hear all of your stories! I talked to Emily at mom's group and she said it was fun!
Thank you again for going!!!
Love this post! Glad you had fun. I was in the YW presidency when I was 22, the YW president was 23. So yeah, we could honestly tell the girls it was not that long ago for us. When we went to youth conference, the other leaders from the other ward came up and said "oh you two are the hot leaders that all the boys are talking about."
I am so jealous, I love girls camp!
Can I tell YOU how you just totally spoke my thoughts for me? It was fun to see you for 5 seconds on your hike that first day. Being up there was glorious and it's so cool knowing that other people completely separate from us were having the same experience! I'm glad you were able to go this year. I've got to say, for my part, it was probably the most fun I've had at camp.
That sounds awesome I am glad that you had a great time, but I can imagine that you are happy to be home with your girls. I am nervous for ours too! It is coming up so fast and I still have a lot of stuff to do! The girls must love having you as a CM
I'm so glad that Katie was able to go up with you! You are such a wonderful person and she appreciates you so much!
I'm glad you had a wonderful time, and I think you're a "cool" cabin older sister-mom!
how fun! i miss girls camp....i didn't ever think i would say that:) there is always such a strong spirit! i'm glad you had so much fun. and I sure you were the coolest cabin mom there:)
they always asked me to go to camp. i never was a fan of girls camp, but reading you post almost *almost* makes me wish i would have said yes when i was in yw.
:)
That sounds awesome! I loved girls camp for all of those reasons...I'm glad you had a nice time.
Post a Comment