The girls and I were at a health check-up recently when the nutritionist asked, "Do they ever crave any non-food items, like dirt and stuff like that?" I wasn't quite sure how to respond because although it sounded bad to say "Ya, they eat dirt sometimes," I thought the real question should be whose child hasn't eaten dirt before? I'd be more worried about a child who hasn't tried any "non-food items" than one who has. And not only dirt, but your pet's hairballs, crickets, leaves, seaweed, sand, cat food, soap, candles, magazines, books, toilet paper, etc. etc. We all remember "that boy" in preschool who ate bugs during recess, or the time you were so hungry at church, that you ate your kiwi flavored lip balm while no one was looking. I mean what exactly designates something as a non-food item when it comes to kids? Better yet, how do you know whether the child CRAVES the item or just feels like sticking it in their mouth at the time? Sometimes the girls try to bite my toes, does that mean that they crave toe? I figured it wouldn't make sense to complicate the question, my kids are healthy and they do eat non-food items, sometimes on a daily basis. I simply responded, "occasionally," and we went about our day.
7 comments:
that is pretty funny. at least they are girls, dirt is the least of worries for my boys. i once found a dead cricket in my living room. i went to get a tisue to throw it away, and when i came back it was gone and paxton just looked at me like he didn't understand what the big deal was. i almost died!
Brenna has eaten a cricket too, atleast parts of it! It was the same senerio. So gross!
Kids will be kids. I can't tell you all what my kids have eaten, I just know that their diapers have had some fun colors in them before.
I'm glad that I can still tell them apart. They are so adorable in their individual ways...
This is so HILARIOUS!!!! And SO TRUE! The list goes on and on for what Brayden has eaten! And every kid I know, including myself, from stories and pics my Mom has told/shown me.
I hate that question. I have had those same thoughts in my head. Does Sophie crave dirt? Probably not but she sure like to eat the sand in the sandbox! Gotta love these crazy little monsters. You and the girls should come out and play again. (I would offer to come out there but with no car, I don't see that happening anytime soon.)
i love the expression on her face!
Ok this was my laugh for the day. That seriously cracks me up!!! Emma was trying to eat lint from my dryer the other day. Thankfully no bugs yet.
Post a Comment