Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The question on my mind.....


Ever since we found out we were expecting twins I have thought for sure that they would be fraternal, so did my OB. They had separate sacs and placentas, and there have been a few fraternal twins in my family so I figured it was hereditary, thus they must be fraternal. The last week or so poor Kevin has had a hard time telling them apart and he's not alone. So many people have been telling me that they look more alike then they have before which seems weird to me if they are fraternal. After much Internet research and burnt pancakes in the process, I found that our girls have a 35% chance of being identical twins, even though they didn't share anything in the womb. I spent all day yesterday attempting to find out their blood types to see if they are the same (another tip that they could be identical). Unfortunately after making several phone calls and taking a trip down to the hospital's record department, I am still none the wiser. So the question is do we spend $160 on a DNA test (just a swab of the insides of their mouths) or do I continue to let this simmer in the back of my brain? It's not like it's going to change things if they are in fact identical, but it would tell us for sure how the girls were conceived (2 eggs or 1 egg that split), and whether our 2 for 1 deal was hereditary or one of mother nature's magic tricks:)

12 comments:

Kimmie said...

That is totally worth $160! I will even chip in five dollars! I wanna know!

Hibbard Family said...

I'd do it! Its a small price to pay for peace of mind, and they'd probably like to know when they're older! (by the way, I'm Makele Hibbard's sister-in-law, and I did meet your husband once before you guys were married, so I'm not some random stalker person on the internet!!!) - Jenna Hibbard

Anonymous said...

DO IT!

Unknown said...

I think you should find out! That would be really fun to know!

Shellee said...

It would bother me too. I think you should do it, that way you won't get irritated when people can't tell them apart.

Alison said...

You know, at the beginning of the week in San Diego, I thought I was totally rocking at telling them apart, but by the end, not so much.

Still, I can't really think of any reason why it is important to know. It's not like it will make them easier to tell apart. And if they are fraternal, people will still have trouble telling them apart. Heck, Kristin and I are five years apart and certain family members appear to not be able to tell us apart!

If some random medical problem popped up and you needed to know, well then chances are their blood would be drawn at some point and you can find out then.

If you've got $160 burning a hole in your pocket, my birthday is only a few months away...

Steve and Steph said...

I would have to break down and spend the money just do i would know for sure...I can't believe that they have a 35% chance...that is crazy! Thanks for getting some jam for me! I am excited!

Exquisite Effects said...

I vote you do it! I totally would! And they are starting to look more and more alike! Though I have had a hard time telling them apart their whole lives.

Thanks for the support! But I really don't feel strong or like a trooper, I'm always a mess!

Oh does your Mom still have jam? If so I definetly want some!

Jana said...

Me personally..I would just tell everyone that they are identical, if they stay looking the same, save some questioning. I'm sure they will get thier blood drawn later. I'd keep the money. But then agian this is coming from a penny pincher:)

Photography By Jo said...

They do look a lot alike!!! I had to remember which one was wearing which color headband when I was taking their pictures.

The Crazy Holdens said...

Go for it!!! Does you rmom have any more jam? Let me know, please.

Hoffman Heaven said...

Can't the doctor do a blood test to find out their blood types? Or would that end up costing just as much? I say go for it to find out cuz they really do look identical lately.
I have younger brothers that are identical... when they were little sometimes the only way to tell them apart was the birthmark next to the older one's belly button. In time we could tell them apart while most people couldn't. You know, those subtle differences that you only know if you are around them a lot.