Monday, March 29, 2010

The Rain Came Down, And The Bugs Came Up

The girls are currently mesmerized by bugs. Whether they fly or crawl, or have big eyelashes, they seem to love them all. Although we don't see a lot of bugs around, our dinner conversations usually include brief sightings of fruit flies, or ants that were spotted on our cement walkway. When we went to the store to buy a small mesh strainer, Brooke deemed it her "bee catcher," and proclaimed that she was going to catch big bees in it. Remind me to hide that thing.
Usually when we set out on one of our nature walks around the complex, we are unable to find any bugs. Little did we know that a few hours of rain would make all the difference. Here is last week's nature walk, just a few hours after it stopped raining.
First, we began with a snack Second, we searched for pretty flowers and practiced posing by them, which resulted in some awkward facial expressions... we talked about the different kinds of flowers

and why some were closed while others were open

then we looked for bugs....and lucky for us, they just appeared thanks to the rain

I introduced the girls to snails and they enjoyed trying to poke their slimy eyeball feeler things

the rain also brought out a whole army of roly-poly bugs, that the girls loved

and when it was time for lunch, the girls said goodbye to their friends and sent them on their way back home.


So as much as I hate random rainy days, I was actually quite grateful for this one.

9 comments:

***LIZ*** said...

That banana pic makes me laugh and laugh!! You are such a good sport, I am not a fan of bugs and there fore do not indulge our boys in their pursuit.

Emmy said...

My daughter was playing with a potato bug herself the other day. Looks like a great walk, cute pics!

Robyn and Anthony said...

So cute ! I love the rolly pollies- those were always my favorite as a kid!

Kimmie said...

What a fun rainy day! I like the cute/awkward facial expressions by the flowers! They are priceless!

Myra said...

I love science walks because the world opens up to our children. It doesn't end there...we still get to explain the world to our boys, even each other. I hope it never ends.

Jana said...

Love those pic so cute. I love those little white shoes your girls are wearing!

Ham N Cheese said...

This reminds me so much of my Tera at that age. Now she is TERRIFIED of all bugs, I don't know what is worse...

* said...

Such a beautiful post, outside in the spring world, seeing every little living thing. My children love doing this.

Last week, we were pulling weeds in the backyard and my 2 yr old found a worm. He was so excited he screamed. (yes, we are so suburban/citified, as it make rural folk cry). It was a delight to see his delight.

Happy Easter & General Conference weekend!!

Brittani said...

wow- my 3 year old wouldn't let me scroll away from the bug pictures. she was fascinated! looks like the girls had fun.