Earlier this month, Kevin and I had the opportunity to go on a double date with two of my close friends from high school. They were married in May, and are both working and going to school full time. Talking to them was like taking a glimpse into our life five years ago. Five years might as well have been twenty, as I couldn't help but feel so much older after our conversation on the phone, even though we are the same age. While I was afraid that the "beaming newlyweds" and "crusty old marrieds" might not end up having much in common in our different stages in life, we quickly found similar ground in our {lack of} funds department, which was surprisingly refreshing. After discussing our concerns, I went to work and planned out a few fun activities that would go easy on our purse strings.
Task #1: CHILDCARE
I was able to do some bartering when it came to finding a babysitter. I babysat my nephew the week before, and so my wonderful brother and sister-in-law babysat for us in exchange. My girls LOVE their Uncle "Bubby, Aunt "Rawvin," and baby cousin "Lannon," as well as the delicious pizza that they brought with them, so it was a win win situation.
Task #2: THE DATE
Our first destination was the beloved Yogurtland, where you pay by the ounce and portion control is really a matter of self control. We browsed through each flavor, resting at those that whispered sweet nothings to our taste buds, and then carefully built our creamy castles one spiral at a time. Next were the toppings which were displayed in salad buffet fashion, with cheesecake croutons and tubes of chocolate and caramel dressing. No fat free vinaigrettes here. If you feel overwhelmed just reading this, you should. It's quite delicious, and much more exciting than salad.
While I had offered to share with Kevin to reduce our costs even further, I realized that our yogurt creations could easily be labeled "his" and "hers," and as such, were not meant to be shared. His chocolate jimmies will never be my granola clusters, but it allowed for a glimmer of selfishness so we allowed it.
After catching up on the latest and greatest in our seemingly separate worlds, we made our way to the nearby $3 theatre to catch a cheap flick. Because we had already eaten dinner, and our bodies were still recovering from our soft serve wonders, the normally mesmerizing aroma of golden popcorn bounced right off of our noses as we made our way to our seats, saving us another couple bucks.
The movie ended up being pretty good. Good enough to distract us from the worn seats, sugarcoated floors, and large tear in the screen, and thus it was a success.
The movie ended up being pretty good. Good enough to distract us from the worn seats, sugarcoated floors, and large tear in the screen, and thus it was a success.Total bill per couple came out to around $12, which was awesome considering that we had treated ourselves to dessert and a movie. We had a great time and it didn't feel like we had shortchanged ourselves when it came to choices of food and entertainment.
While I could be happy with frozen yogurt and a movie every week, I'd love to hear some different date ideas.
What are your favorite frugal dates and money saving tricks when going out on the town?
Do share:)
15 comments:
Before we had kids, Eric and I would go read magazines at Barnes N Noble. There is also going to the temple, dollar theater like you did, museums, go to the grocery store and buy ingredients and come home and cook together, drive somewhere romantic and watch a movie in the backseat on a laptop, etc. I found a blog once that listed a bunch of good ones, I'll have to try and find it.
That sounds like so much fun! I am yet to see The Proposal. The dollar theater definitely used to be our favorite. We would also go to the mall with other couples and dare everyone to try on ridiculous/funny things.
Hiking [or anything outside .. go to the park, play a sport, etc.], the right portion/right price menu at Friday's, or anything involving a coupon!!
We used to do Taco Tuesdays @ Del Taco when they are really cheap. Or just finding a meal at a restraunt that we could split, and the cheap theater. Now that we live at the foot of the mtns. just going on a drive or eating up the canyon is a nice brake. We are always up for cards or board games too!
You guys are amazing! Love the creativeness. It is so rare that Scott & I go out, but when we do, Katelyn ends up at my parents where there is always someone there to watch her- I mean there are 8 people living there:) & our last 3 dates have been at Serrano's which isn't too hard on the wallet. & ALWAYS! satisfies Scott & my prego cravings.
Klint & I don't get out much, since we had the boys we've instituted "Friday Night Pizza". I pick up a $5 Little Ceasars pizza on the way home from work & we get a movie (redbox). Then we put the kids to bed early (we do share the pizza with them) put a blanket on the floor with a bunch of pillows and have a movie picnic. Also, if you want to get out and don't have a babysitter we go to the mall & eat at the food court (because sometimes we can't even agree on the type of food let alone share something) then let the kids play in the play area while we take an hour to talk & relax together. It's like having a free babysitter except to do have to keep an eye on the exit to watch for escapes.
cheap movies are always a good idea! we always sneak in our own snacks/popcorn and drinks :)
and yes, coupons are a wonerful thing! we had our date on tuesday this week since we heard gecko grill was having a buy one get one free deal.
we've gone a few times to a car show that's in scottsdale sat. nights. its free and fun to look at sweet old cars/trucks...i even like it :) of cours it's more enjoyable when the weather is nice.
I need ideas too ;) We usually just put emma to bed early and watch a movie. One night we went outside while she was asleep and watched for shooting starts... can't really do that in the city though. I'm clueless.
These are all great ideas! Thanks for sharing:)
Isn't it funny how pre-marriage a 'cheap date' is embarrassing and post-marriage, it's impressive!? My, how it all changes. LOL! Sounds like a fun time.
We had a neighborhood babysitting coop when our kids were little-er. We picked 3 other couples who had a similar number/age children. Once per month, YOU and your spouse would sponsor the Friday Night Kids Party and have ALL the kids at your home to entertain. The other 3 Fridays per month you were free to go on a date with your spouse. Worked quite well for us.
I mostly exchange babysitting favors with family now but the neighborhood thing works well for those whom family is not an option.
Oh- and I found your blog via the MMB. I'm a twin Mom too, except mine are now 9. Twin-toddlerdom is totally survivable, even if it doesn't always feel like it!
Fun date! We frequent the $3 movies too! i actually met Michael Pollack (the owner of Tempe cinemas) the last time we went there. We also like dining at Costco, and getting seconds and thirds of their samples.
I loved The Proposal!
Cheap Date: we always check at Restaurant.com for gift certificates. The last time we doubled with someone we went to My Big Ft Greek Restaurant and split a $34 platter for 2 between all 4 our us. Then we went to the mall to window shop for birthdays. We play the "if I were rich, I would buy you a..." game. It's kind of fun to see the ideas and how much people will really spend for things. He won last time with a house. :)
Some friends of ours when we were first married would do a game night with 3 other couples. We loved knowing that one Sat. night a month we were going to play games with our friends. We played some of the funniest games.
Great cheap-o ideas! We love babysit swapping & it's saved us oodles of $$ over the years.
One of our fave date nights is going thrift store shopping. My husband loves the computer/electronics section, I love the shoes & clothes, and together we pour over the books.
hey again. I found your new blog. sorry I didn't check blogs in forever. I am so over blogging. How are you? Your girls are so cute!
Hey April!
No need to apologize:) We are doing well. How are things with you guys? Are you on facebook?
Post a Comment